Fly rods are one of the major pieces of equipment in fly fishing, without which fly fishing is totally impossible. This is the reason why you need to look for the perfect fly rod for a better fly fishing experience. Finding a suitable fly rod for your other fly fishing equipment might sound like an overwhelming task for you. We will be discussing the best fly rods for the money in this article.
In fact, it is really difficult to choose the best fly rod if you aren’t sure about several features you need to look for. Also, several high-end fly rods are available at a very hefty price tag and if you don’t have sound knowledge regarding the major aspects to look for, you might end up wasting a lot of money.
To help you select the perfect fly rod, we reviewed several fly rods available out there to list down the 15 best fly rods for the money. With the fly rods that we’ll be reviewing in this guide, you’d certainly be able to utilize the best out of your money.
Best Fly Rods for the Money
Now that you’ve found out the major things you need to look for to choose the perfect fly rod meeting your requirements, it’s time to find out the best fly rods for the money in the recent time. We researched several fly rods used by most fly fishers and came over the 15 rods which offered the most control and usability while fly fishing.
This guide features the reviews of these 15 best fly rods along with a comparison chart which resembles the major features of every fly rod.
Our Pick: Best Fly Rod For You
- A versatile fast action, 8'4" long 3/4 wt. IM8 Graphite for durability, accuracy and performance
- Travel friendly, four piece, with alignment dots for fast setup
- Ceramic stripping guides, chrome snake guides for smooth gliding fly lines
- Machined aluminum reel seat with double lock rings for sturdy reel attachment
- Half well cork handle helps casting accuracy, avoids fatigue. Four compartment rod tube included.
Comparison Chart of the Best Fly Rods For The Money
|Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod||IM8 Graphite and Machined Aluminum reel seat||3, 5, 8||Fast|
|Wild Water 5/6 9′ Fly Rod||Mid-flex IM8 Graphite and Machined Aluminum reel seat||5/6||Slow|
|Crystal River Fishing Rod||Graphite body and reel seat, Aluminum oxide stripper guide||6/7||Slow|
|Piscifun 4-Piece Graphite Fly Fishing Rod||30-ton Toray Graphite blank and Chromed Stainless Steel Snake Guides||3/4||Medium-fast|
|Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod||IM7 Graphite and Machined Aluminum Reel Seat||4, 5, 6, 7, 9||Medium|
|Maximcatch Ultra-lite Fly Rod||IM8 Graphite and CNC Machined Aluminum reel seat||1, 2, 3||Medium-fast|
|FISHINGSIR Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo||High-quality stainless steel and Carbide Stripper Guides with Machined Aluminum and Solid Wood reel seat||3/4, 5/6||Medium|
|Orvis Encounter 5-weight 9′ Fly Rod Outfit||High-quality Graphite||5||Medium-fast|
|Temple Fork Outfitters Professional Fly Fishing Rod||Braided Graphite and Anodized Aluminum reel seats||2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10||Medium-fast|
|Fenwick AETOS Fly Rod||Graphite, Gunsmoke Stripper Guides, Anodized Aluminum double reel seats||3, 5, 6/7, 7/8, 8, 8/9, 9/10, 10/11||Fast|
|Redington Classic Trout||Dark Clay Brown blank, Titanium oxide Stripper Guides, Rosewood reel seat||2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8||Medium|
|Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod||Graphite, Copper anodized reel seat||5||Medium|
|Echo Base Fly Rod||Simple and durable Graphite, Chrome guides, Black anodized reel seat||3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8||Medium-fast|
|KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo||Graphite||4, 5, 6, 8||Medium-fast|
|Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combos||Mid-flex IM8 Graphite, Stainless Steel stripper guide||5/6||Medium-fast|
The Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod is an amazing fly rod designed with IM8 graphite along with the machined aluminum reel seat. It is a fast-action fly rod built for better performance and accuracy. This fly rod offers exceptional sensitivity allowing you to fight with the fish properly while fly fishing. Along with that, this fly rod is available in 4 pieces which makes it one of the most convenient fly rod for traveling. You don’t even have to spend a lot of dollars for this fly rod and you’ll be able to use it for many more years to come.
- This fly rod is made up of highly durable IM8 graphite.
- It consists of ceramic stripping guides and chrome snake guides allowing you to glide the fly lines smoothly.
- The rod features a machined aluminum reel seat along with dual lock rings which offer proper reel attachment.
- This rod is available in a natural color so that the fish won’t be spooked.
- It is a highly affordable fly rod.
- This fly rod is designed in a compact size and allows you to take it with you anywhere easily.
- You can easily attach the rod pieces even in dark or low-light situations with the help of alignment dots.
- The rod might be difficult to handle.
If you are thinking about getting an affordable fly rod which is also durable and offers maximum accuracy and sensitivity, there’s no better option left for you rather than the Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod. With this fly rod, you’d be able to get awesome fly fishing experience for both freshwater and saltwater fish. Also, this rod can be used efficiently in any water resources such as streams, rivers, lakes or seas.
The Wild Water 5/6 9′ Fly Rod is a slow-action fly rod designed with mid-flex IM8 graphite. This rod features stainless steel single-foot snake guides along with the stripper guide made up of the same material. This 9 feet long fly rod is available in a package along with suitable large arbor reel, fly line, backing, leader, flies and a fly box which are highly durable. The rod features aluminum reel seat along with hook keeper and is suitable for a weight-forward 5-weight fly line. It is also available in 4 pieces which can turn out to be highly effective while traveling.
- This fly rod is 9 feet long and weighs around 5/6.
- The rod is made up of mid-flex IM8 graphite along with a 7-inch western-style grip which is designed with high-quality cork and optimal cork trim rings.
- The stainless steel hook keeper in this fly rod offers better fly storage while fly fishing.
- The rod weighs 5.7 ounces and can be divided into 4 pieces which are 28.75 inches long each offering proper rod sock storage.
- This rod is available with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- It can be divided into 4 pieces allowing you to take it anywhere easily for fly fishing.
- The rod can be handled easily with the help of Western-style cork grip.
- The fly rod isn’t so sensitive and might be difficult while fighting with the fish.
If you are looking for the best slow-action fly rod for making shorter casts efficiently along with the most suitable fly fishing equipment, getting the Wild Water 5/6 9′ Rod with its Fly Fishing Complete Starter Package can be the best choice. This mid-flex fly rod is certainly the perfect fly rod for entry-level fly fishers who are planning to get started with fly fishing effectively. You will be able to handle fish like trout, panfish, bass, salmon, etc. in a comfortable way with the use of this fly rod offering you the maximum flexibility while fly fishing.
The Crystal River Fishing Rod is another slow-action fly rod on our list which is designed with graphite and available with a suitable fly reel while purchasing. This 8 feet long fly rod can be divided into 3 pieces for better storage and transportation. It is an ultra lightweight fly rod available with aluminum oxide stripper guide and attached hook keeper. Along with graphite construction of the main structure, the reel seat is also designed with graphite and features stainless steel hoods. The rod consists of amazing Eva Foap grip.
- This fly rod weighs just 0.15 pounds which makes it one of the most lightweight fly rods available in the market.
- The rod features a built-in hook keeper.
- The overall fly rod along with the reel seat is made up of graphite.
- When all three pieces are attached, the rod is about 96 inches long allowing you to make the perfect cast.
- It is very lightweight fly rod.
- This fly rod is highly durable.
- You can use this fly rod in any fly fishing situations.
- The rod is easy to handle.
- The rod and reel feature plastic design which may not be so effective while handling larger fish.
If you are thinking about getting a lightweight slow-action fly rod featuring graphite construction and plastic reel design, the Crystal River Fishing Rod can be a good choice. This fly rod is compatible to use in any fly fishing locations and can be assembled effectively before getting started with fly fishing. You can use this fly rod for trout fishing, bass fishing, saltwater fishing, etc. which makes it one of the most versatile fly rods in the market. This fly rod is also tagged at a reasonable price tag and you’d be able to get the most out of your money.
The Piscifun 4-Piece Graphite Fly Fishing Rod is medium-fast action fly rod designed with Japanese 30-ton Toray Graphite which allows you to handle the fish precisely while fly fishing. This fly rod features a durable and strong butt section offering a proper backbone for making longer casts. It features sensitive tip flexes to make amazing shorter casts as well. The rod consists of chromed stainless steel snake guides along with advanced ceramic stripping guides. It is also available in 4-piece design which is highly convenient for transportation and storage.
- This fly rod is available either in 8 feet 6 inches long or 9 feet length.
- The rod features ceramic ring stripping guides allowing you to reduce the friction while casting.
- The overall structure of the fly rod is made up of durable Japanese 30-ton Toray graphite.
- It consists of an aluminum reel seat which offers smooth fly fishing performance.
- This fly rod is very lightweight.
- It can be used to make any sort of casts.
- The Portuguese Cork grip in this fly rod offers maximum sensitivity while fly fishing.
- The fly rod may not be so durable and can break quickly.
Similar to the two fly rods above, this fly rod from Piscifun is also available in a package featuring a mid-arbor fly reel. If you are an experienced fly fisher who is well-known about several casting techniques, the Piscifun 4-Piece 8’6″/9′ Graphite Fly Fishing Rod can be the best fly rod choice for you since this rod is able to make both shorter and longer casts precisely. This fly rod is highly sensitive and allows you to handle the fish effectively while fishing. The rod may not be durable enough, but the customer support service you can expect from the world-class fly fishing equipment manufacturer is certainly exceptional.
The Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod is another outstanding fly rod from Piscifun with medium-action performance and cool design. This 9 feet long fly rod is highly durable and is designed with IM7 graphite. It consists of a machined aluminum reel seat offering strong reel attachment along with ceramic stripping guides and chrome guides. The rod is also available in 4 different pieces which makes it easy to carry to any fly fishing locations efficiently. This fly rod is also available in a slow-action performance with its 4-weight version and fast-action performance with the 9-weight version.
- This fly rod features a PVC rod tube which allows you to keep your fly rod securely while traveling to several places for fly fishing.
- The rod consists of white alignment dots making it easier for you to attach the pieces even in dark or low-light conditions.
- The 4-weight version of the rod is 8 feet, 6 inches long, whereas the other weight versions (5, 6, 7, 9) are 9 feet long.
- This fly rod from Piscifun is made up of IM7 graphite with machined aluminum reel seats featuring dual lock rings.
- This fly rod is highly durable.
- It is travel-friendly due to its compact 4-piece design.
- The rod is easier to assemble.
- The end segment might break quickly.
- The rod is highly stiff.
If you are looking for a fly rod featuring rod tube for secure placement and compatibility in any fly fishing situations, you might want to go for the Piscifun Sword Graphite Fly Fishing Rod. This fly rod is available in several weight versions, where the 4-weight version is of slow-action performance and the 9-weight version is of fast-action performance and the others are of medium-action performance. You have a lot of choices available for this fly rod and every version is very easy to assemble and use. The rod is highly stiff, but it is also very strong and durable enough to be used for several years.
The Maximcatch Ultra-lite Fly Rod is a medium-fast action fly rod designed with IM8 graphite for higher durability. The rod is available in 3-piece design which makes it convenient for storage and transportation. It also features AA-grade half-well cork grip which offers exceptional accuracy and smoothness while casting. This fly rod consists of a reel seat made up of CNC machined aluminum with peachwood insert. You can get this fly rod in 5 different models and 3 different weights.
- This fly rod is made up of highly durable pure IM8 30T graphite.
- The rod features ceramic stripping guides and chromed stainless steel snake guides which allow you to glide the fly lines smoothly.
- It features several dots for faster alignment of the three pieces of the rod.
- This fly rod from Maxcatch has an increased recovery speed for extraordinary efficiency in comparison to other fly rods.
- This fly rod is highly durable and accurate.
- It is highly sensitive and allows you to handle the fish efficiently.
- The rod is available in 5 different models which makes it easier for you to prefer the most suitable one depending on your requirements.
- It might difficult to cast over 35 feet with this fly rod.
If you are planning to get a fly rod offering medium-fast action performance along with increased accuracy and durability, this amazing Ultra-lite fly rod from Maxcatch can be the best choice for you. This fly rod is available with a fly reel while purchasing which prevents the difficulties you might have to face while looking for a suitable fly reel. Also, you get all these features in a very low price tag which means you can expect to get the most of our money with this outstanding Maximcatch Ultra-lite Fly Rod.
The FISHINGSIR Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo is an outstanding fly fishing equipment package from FISHINGSIR featuring a fly rod designed with high-quality stainless steel. The rod features machined aluminum and solid wood reel seat alongside the carbide stripper guides which makes it unique from most fly rods in our list. This amazing fly rod is an ultra lightweight rod allowing you to carry the rod to any place easily. The stainless steel frames in the stripper guides prevent the parts of the rod from breaking easily. The AA+ high-grade cork grip in this rod makes it easier for you to handle the rod.
- This fly rod is made up of high-quality stainless steel along with stainless steel frames in several parts of the rod.
- It weighs just around 94 grams which makes it extremely lightweight.
- The rod is available in 2 weight versions; 3/4 and 5/6.
- This fly rod features the popular 4-piece design allowing you to store the rod consuming less space while traveling.
- This fly rod is ultra lightweight.
- It offers exceptional casting performance.
- This fly rod isn’t so durable.
- Some parts of this package sometimes get missing.
The FISHINGSIR FLY Rod and Reel Combo is a good rod/reel choice for everyone who wants to be able to make proper casts while fly fishing. With the inclusion of stainless steel hook keeper in this fly rod, you’d be able to store your flies properly while fly fishing. This fly rod features titanium color structure along with anodized finish which makes it a good choice for serious fly fishers.
The Orvis Encounter 5-weight 9′ Fly Rod Outfit is an amazing fly rod available at an affordable price tag from Orvis. This fly rod offers optimal performance while fly fishing with its outstanding design. It comes in a package with a large-arbor Orvis Encounter reel along with the weight-forward floating fly line, backing as well as the leader. The rod performs in medium-fast action with its high-quality graphite construction. This fly rod also features a compact design which makes it a better option for traveling.
- This fly rod is designed with high-quality graphite.
- The rod is highly sensitive and offers proper handling of the fish.
- It is also available in a 4-piece design allowing you to transport the rod to different locations for fly fishing conveniently.
- The medium-fast action of the rod allows it to bend from its central structure making it better while casting.
- This fly rod is highly stable.
- It is easier to assemble this fly rod.
- The rod comes in a package with suitable fly fishing equipment and doesn’t need any tippet for fly fishing.
- It is not so durable.
- Orvis doesn’t offer any warranty for this fly rod.
Orvis is one of the most popular fly fishing equipment manufacturers in the world, but this fly rod certainly doesn’t match the level of other Orvis fly rods. It is the only fly rod from Orvis without any warranty period. However, this fly rod can be the best choice for small trout fishing. Also, the rod is available at a highly affordable price tag which certainly suits with the features of the rod. In fact, the Orvis Encounter 5-weight 9′ fly rod is best for beginners.
The Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Series II Fly Fishing Rod is an amazing fly rod featuring gold logos in its structure along with black matte finish in the overall structure. It is a medium-fast action fly rod and featured red rod sock with the manufacturer’s logo for extra customization. The rod is designed with braided graphite and features anodized aluminum reel seats. The grade cork is extremely high quality featuring the burled accents. This fly rod is certainly one of the most smooth and powerful fly rods for every fly fisher.
- This fly rod is made up of braided graphite.
- It is available in several weight versions from 2 to 10.
- The medium-fast action of this fly rod allows you to make smooth and powerful casts while fly fishing.
- The rod features large stripper guides along with anodized reel seats made up of aluminum.
- This rod is suitable for any fly fishing situations.
- It offers a high level of comfort while casting.
- The rod is easier to assemble with the help of alignment dots.
- The rod isn’t so affordable.
If you are looking for a high-end fly rod offering amazing casting abilities along with high customization features, there’s no better option than the Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Series II Fly Fishing Rod. Despite the rod is highly expensive, the features you’d be able to obtain with this fly rod are certainly more than you expect. This fly rod is suitable for every fly fishing situation; whether it is freshwater fishing or saltwater fishing, this fly rod is always one of the best fly rods available. Without any doubt, the manufacturers also offer a lifetime warranty with this fly rod.
The Fenwick AETOS Fly Rod is an amazing fast-action fly rod featuring graphite in its structure. It is a lightweight fly rod featuring large gunsmoke stripper guides along with gunsmoke snake guides. The package consists of a cloth-covered fly rod tube and a bag which allows you to store the fly rod securely. The fly rod is available in 4-piece design which makes it easier for you to store the rod consuming less space and transport to different places. This fly rod is certainly an outstanding choice for both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
- This fly rod is designed with graphite and features gunsmoke stripper guides along with anodized aluminum double reel seats.
- The rod features the AAA-grade cork handle which offers a comfortable grip to the fly fisher.
- It is blue colored featuring carbon flake accents.
- This fly rod consists of fast-recovering modern tapers which make the rod feel lighter.
- This fly rod is suitable for any fly fishing locations.
- It is a lightweight fly rod.
- The rod is easier to assemble and transport.
- It doesn’t feature proper alignment dots.
- The cork handle may not be so durable.
- The reel seat doesn’t feature any marking for the central section.
The Fenwick AETOS Fly Rod is certainly an outstanding fly fishing rod choice for everyone who is looking for a lightweight, fast-action and fast-recovering fly rod featuring a comfortable grip for fly fishing. This fly rod also offers optimal line tracing and maximum accuracy while casting. The softer tip of the fly rod allows you to make perfect shorter casts and the broad stripper guides help in reducing the friction while casting. This fly rod is also tagged at a highly affordable price tag.
The Redington Classic Trout is an outstanding fly fishing rod from Redington offering medium action performance. It features titanium oxide stripper guides along with a nylon rod tube for better and secure fly rod storage. The rod consists of a rosewood reel seat insert and has a dark clay brown finish in its construction. This fly rod is certainly the best choice for everyone who is planning to go for trout fishing. In fact, the Redington Classic Trout is also compatible with fly fishing on a boat.
- This fly rod consists of custom-machined reel seat along with rosewood insert.
- The rod is available in six different weights; 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8.
- It consists of titanium oxide stripper guides.
- This fly rod features the premium Half Wells cork grip for better handling of the fish.
- This fly rod is suitable for boat fly fishing.
- The rod is easy to transport and handle.
- It is highly durable.
- This fly rod is very expensive.
The Redington Classic Trout can be a great fly fishing rod choice if you are into freshwater fishing and need the best fly rod offering easier assembly and softer feel while fly fishing. With this fly rod, you can expect to catch fish easily in small streams as well as large rivers. Since there are alignment dots in the 4 pieces of the fly rod, you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of time looking at the manual regarding the setup process. You can even setup the fly rod efficiently in dark or low-light situations with these alignment dots. This fly rod is certainly the best choice for you to utilize most of your large amount of money.
The Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod is medium-action fly rod offering optimal fly fishing performance. This fly rod is designed with carbon fiber (graphite) and features reel seats made up of anodized copper. The rod is available in 4-piece design which makes it easier to transport to different places consuming less storage space. Along with all these things, this fly rod weighs just around 3.2 ounces making it a lightweight yet strong fly rod. This fly rod from Moonshine Rod Company is certainly one of the best fly rod choices for everyone from beginners to experienced fly fishers.
- This fly rod features high-performance graphite construction.
- The rod consists of AAA cork handle allowing you to fight with the fish efficiently while fly fishing.
- It included copper anodized parts on its entire structure, especially the reel seat.
- This fly rod features hand-turned spalted burl which reveals the beautiful wooden design of the rod.
- This fly rod is ultra lightweight.
- It consumes less storage space.
- The rod is compatible for any casting distances.
- It is quite expensive.
If you are looking for a lightweight yet strong fly rod which is able to create amazing longer casts without reducing the performance in shorter casts, The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod from Moonshine Rod Company can be the best fly rod option for you. This fly rod features dual tip sections and includes a hard canvas 5 compartment rod tube while purchasing. Featuring the matte finish in its construction, this fly rod also includes a beautiful reel seat with Burl Wood design. Even though the rod is expensive, it would really offer an exceptional level of performance similar to the fly rod from Redington and it is stiff enough to be able to perform longer casts with your fly line.
The Echo Base Fly Rod is medium-fast action fly rod featuring simple yet durable graphite construction. The translucent deep blue finish in the fly rod makes the rod look beautiful along with better fly fishing performance. It also features chrome guides and black anodized reel seat. Similar to most fly rods in our list, this fly rod is also available in 4-piece design which is really beneficial for you if you are going to travel to different places for fly fishing. The manufacturer has also offered a lifetime warranty with the fly rod.
- This fly rod is available in 6 different weights; 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
- The rod consists of several alignment dots in its 4-piece design allowing you to assemble the rod even in low-light or dark conditions.
- The rod is designed with simple and durable graphite along with black anodized reel seat.
- It features a stiff section at the central region which offers the required power for casting larger flies.
- This fly rod is easy to assemble.
- It consumes less storage space in the storage kit with its 4-piece design.
- You can have ECHO lifetime warranty period with this fly rod.
- The chrome guides don’t perform well.
The Echo Base Fly Rod is certainly one of the best fly rods available at a highly affordable price tag. This fly rod can be the best choice for you if you are looking for a fly rod with a compact design which can be used for many years to come without any faults. However, the chrome guides included in this fly rod may not be so durable and might decline the performance. But, this doesn’t affect the features you can get from this exceptional fly rod with an unbeatable value in a very low price tag.
The KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo features a medium-fast fly rod available in four different weights. The overall structure of the fly rod is designed with graphite and is available in a 4-piece design. The 4-piece design of the fly rod is certainly a benefit for someone who travels a lot for fly fishing. This fly rod is available in a package while purchasing along with a pre-loaded aluminum fly reel and several flies that you can attach at the end of your tippet/leader for fly fishing. It is one of the best performing fly rods, especially targeted towards beginners.
- This fly rod can be divided into 4 pieces for easier storage and transportation.
- The rod features snake foot made up of stainless steel.
- The fly rod includes ceramic stripping guides.
- It features a 3A cork handle which allows you to catch and handle the fish with an exceptional level of comfort.
- This fly rod consumes less storage space.
- It offers outstanding performance while casting.
- The manufacturer offers a single year warranty with this fly rod.
- This fly rod may not be too affordable.
- It isn’t so durable.
If you are thinking about getting a fly fishing package rather than buying the pieces of equipment separately, the KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo is one of the best options available for you. The 4-piece design fly fishing rod included in the package offers exceptional performance while fly fishing which helps beginners get started with fly fishing efficiently. This fly rod may not be the best one, but it is certainly a good choice for entry-level fly fishers who want a good fly rod for learning purposes. However, this rod might get damaged quickly and the warranty period offered by the manufacturer is quite low.
The Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combos is another wonderful fly fishing package featuring a fly rod with mid-flex IM8 graphite construction. The rod consists of a stainless steel stripping guide with Silicon carbide rings. The fly rod is quite durable as well as lightweight and is available in 5/6 weight version. The overall package features this medium-fast action fly rod along with CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum alloy-based fly reel and several flies. This fly rod is certainly a good choice for trout and salmon fishing.
- This fly fishing rod is made up of IM8 graphite which is strong and durable.
- The fly rod features stainless steel single foot snake guides along with a hook keeper.
- The inclusion of high-quality cork and compressed cork trim rings in the 7-inch Western-style grip offers exceptional performance and precision while casting.
- The fly rod is 9 feet long and is available in a 4-piece design.
- The fly rod can be divided into four smooth pieces which occupy less storage space in your fly fishing storage kit.
- The rod offers amazing casting accuracy.
- It is highly durable.
- This fly rod isn’t compatible with longer casts.
If you usually go for fly fishing to catch trout, salmon and other strong fish and require a durable fly rod offering better accuracy while casting, getting the Sougayilang Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combos can be a great choice. The package features an awesome mid-flex, a medium-fast fly rod which works the best for fly fishing in most fly fishing locations such as streams, rivers, lakes, and creeks. The aluminum reel seat in the fly rod offers extra security to the fly rod. This fly rod is highly recommended for everyone who requires smoother fly rods for fly fishing.
What Makes A Fly Rod The Best?
While looking for a suitable fly rod, you not only need to look for the perfect size for other fly fishing equipment but also several features available in the fly rod. There are several popular fly rods available out there for the money, but not all of them are the best ones in the market.
For a fly rod to be the best one, it needs to feature some extraordinary features which really meets your fly fishing requirements. Here are some of the major aspects you need to look for to find out the best fly rod for the money.
Fly Rod Length
You can find fly rods ranging from the length of 4 feet to 12 feet. Most fly fishers prefer 9 feet fly rods, which is also our recommendation for you to obtain the optimal fly fishing experience.
If you are thinking about performing short casts, shorter fly rods might be the best choice. Shorter rods also need to be your top priority while fly fishing in small streams.
On the other hand, longer fly rods can be the perfect choice for creating longer casts. Such fly rods are also the best choice to prevent any sort of issues while casting.
Fly Rod Material
Fly rods are usually designed with materials like graphite, bamboo, and fiberglass. Every fly rod material has their own advantages and downsides.
Fly rods designed with graphite can be your top choice if you are looking to create precise casts while fly fishing. These fly rods are also the most popular ones and are lighter in weight in comparison to the other material fly rods. Heavier weight versions are also available since graphite is an artificial material. You may not be able to experience old and natural feel with these rods, but you will certainly be able to catch and hold the fish efficiently.
Fly rods designed with bamboo are traditional and heavy fly rods which usually perform actions slowly. The slower performance of these rods is good if you are looking for a fly rod which is capable of maintaining its usability for a long period of time. Unlike the modern graphite rods, you’ll be able to experience vintage vibes with these rods. We highly recommend you to try out bamboo fly rods if you are an experienced fly fisher.
Fiberglass fly rods are one of the most affordable and durable fly rods available in the market. A fly rod made up of fiberglass may not show outstanding performance, but certainly works best for beginners.
Fly Line Weight
Fly line weight is one of the most essential factors to look for while choosing the best fly rod. In fact, the best fly rod for you needs to have the same fly line weight and fly rod weight for the best fly fishing performance. The reason behind this is that the measurement scale of fly rod weight is dependent upon the fly line weight and size. This is why you shouldn’t look for a heavier fly line if you own a lightweight fly rod since your fly rod wouldn’t be able to handle the weight of the fly line.
Then..Which One Is The Suitable Weight?
Usually, fly rods are available from weight 1 to weight 12. The weight of a fly rod is directly proportional to the size and weight of the fly you will be looking for while fly fishing. This means you’ll be able to catch a lightweight fish with a lighter fly rod. You can calculate the suitable fly size by multiplying the fly rod weight by 3. For example, if you have a 5 weight fly rod, you will be able to attach flies of 12-15 size for best performance.
Since most fly rods from popular manufacturers are available in the form of bundles along with the most suitable fly reel and fly line, you mightn’t need to worry about choosing the perfect fly rod weight in case of such bundles.
Action refers to the amount of flexibility of a fly rod. While looking for the perfect fly rod, it is really essential for you to look for the most suitable fly rod action depending on your fly fishing technique. You can find 3 major fly rod actions; slow, medium and fast. The slower a fly rod performs, the more flexible it is.
If you are new to fly fishing, slow-action fly rods can be the best choice even though it might be difficult to perform the back-cast with these rods.
Medium-action fly rods are the most versatile among the 3 fly rods. These rods can perform longer casts than slow-action rods and offer more control while casting than fast-action rods.
Fast-action fly rods are usually the stiffest rods and are highly recommended if you are planning to put more power while performing longer casts.
Tips for Buying the Best Fly Rod
We have already provided you the information regarding the features you need to look for while buying the best fly rod. If you are still stuck in choosing the best fly rod after going through the reviews of the 15 best fly rods for the money, here are some tips which might turn out to be fruitful for you to choose the perfect fly rod for fly fishing.
Fly Rod Action
- Looking for fast-action rods can be beneficial while fly fishing in windy situation.
- It isn’t recommended to go for fast-action rods if you are a total beginner and want to try out making shorter casts.
- If you are thinking about making shorter casts or fly fishing in small streams, slow-action rods can be your top priority. Slow-action rods are also the best choice for beginners.
- If you are looking for a versatile fly rod which is durable and is able to make any kind of casts, it is always the best idea to go for medium or medium-fast fly rods.
Fly Rod Length
- It is highly recommended for you to look for a 9 feet long fly rod for fly fishing. Getting any length fly rod from 7 to 10 can also be a good choice.
- If you will be fly fishing in smaller water columns, it is good to go for shorter fly rods.
- It’s always the best idea to look for longer fly rods if you are planning to make longer casts.
- You need to try matching the fly rod weight with fly reel and fly line weight.
- If you’d like to choose the perfect fly rod weight for a certain size of fly that you’d be attaching on your tippet, it is always the best idea to divide the size of fly by 3 to calculate the suitable fly rod weight.
Fly Rod Weight and Fish
- If you are thinking about going for panfish or trout fishing, fly rod and fly line weight from 1 to 3 can be the best idea.
- 5wt Fly rod can be the perfect choice for panfish and smallmouth bass.
- It is always the best idea to look for a 6-7 weight fly rod if you are thinking about catching freshwater fish, largemouth and smallmouth bass and salmon.
- If you are planning to catch pike, steelhead, saltwater fish, etc., you might want to go for 8-9 weight fly rods.
- For stronger fish like tarpon, bonefish, billfish, etc., it is a good idea to buy a 10-15 weight fly rod.
With the completion of our reviews of the 15 best fly rods for the money along with the tips to choose the perfect fly rod meeting your requirements, we believe you are now able to look for a suitable fly rod for fly fishing. If you have selected a fly rod, it is always the best idea to compare its features with other popular fly rods by looking at their reviews on the Internet to find out whether your selection is right or not.
If you have any queries regarding anything included in our guide, you can feel free to write down to us in the comments. We’d love to get back to you right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What length fly rod would be the best choice for me?
Answer: Most fly fishers usually prefer fly rods which are 9 feet long. You can go for any fly rod weight depending on the weight of other pieces of equipment and fly fishing situation, but it is always the best idea to look for a 9 feet long fly rod for fly fishing.
Q. Which is the best fly rod material?
Answer: It really matters on what you expect from a fly rod that you’ll be choosing.
- If you are thinking about getting a fly rod that can be used for many years to come, it is good to go for fiberglass fly rods. But, these fly rods aren’t so better in performance in comparison to bamboo and graphite fly rods.
- If you are an experienced fly fisher, it is the best idea to look for bamboo fly rods.
- Our recommendation for everyone, especially beginners, is to get a fly rod made up of graphite to make accurate casts while fly fishing.
Q. Which brands manufacture the best quality fly rods?
Answer: If you are looking for a fly rod designed with high-quality substances, you can get such rods from popular and reliable fly rod companies such as Orvis, Maxcatch, FISHINGSIR, Tailwater Outfitters, etc.
Last update on 2019-04-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API