Whether you are on the riverside or casting from the boat, staying organized will increase your productivity and help you to keep your eyes on fishing more. In one sentence, “Staying organized will uplift your fishing experience”. And that is only possible with the right fly fishing vest. That’s why we are here to help you with an in-depth fly fishing vests buyers guide along with the top 7 best fly fishing vests that are dominating the market.
Let’s get started!
Top 7 Best Fly Fishing Vests
Most newbie anglers find fishing vest boring and they always tend to overlook it. They will invest in rods, sunglasses, foldable chairs but don’t even think about a vest, when it is also as important as other accessories.
You are not getting into fly fishing for food, right? You are casting only to enjoy your weekend or you love doing it. When the main purpose is enjoyment then why stay unorganized and spend hours searching for tiny things? If you want to make your fly fishing trip enjoyable and memorable, you will need comfort. And there is nothing worse than killing time searching for the right accessories.
On the other hand, often new anglers buy poor quality bags only because they are cheap and as a result, they end up paying more bucks in the long run. So, pay much attention to fishing vests as much as you do to other accessories.
Isn’t it great to have a vest that has all the helpful features and also comes with a great design? Sure it is. The Autumn Ridge Traders Climbing Vest will provide just that for you. In this vest, you will find almost everything that you will ever need in a fly fishing vest which makes it one of the best fly fishing vests in the current market.
Let’s have a look at its features:
- This vest is very lightweight, so it is highly comfortable. Furthermore, it is perfectly balanced so you can move freely.
- It features cushioned shoulder pads which ensures your comfort even if the vest is fully loaded.
- The Autumn Ridge Traders Climbing Vest comes with 16 pockets which will allow you to store most of your accessories in it.
- It is made of mesh fabric which means the inner side of this vest will remain well-ventilated so you would be able to stay cool during summer.
- The zippers are made of heavy-duty material and run smoothly. Plus, unlike most other fly fishing vests on the market, this one comes with a classy look.
- Highly portable.
- 16 pockets.
- Well-ventilated interior.
- Smooth zippers.
- Cushioned shoulder pads.
- As it is a mesh vest, it is not suitable for cold weather.
The Autumn Ridge Traders Climbing Vest will be a great choice for summer fly fishing. It is a vest that will allow you to move freely and keep all your things organized.
The Rothco Uncle Milty Travel Vest has a better design than the previously reviewed Autumn Ridge Traders fly fishing vest. However, this one is slightly more expensive than the Autumn Ridge Traders. This Rothco Uncle vest has a nice color and performs better in winter because it’ll keep you warm during extreme cold.
Here are the features you’ll get with it:
- This vest is made of 55% cotton and 45% polyester which made this very durable.
- It comes with a total of 11 pockets where two are medium-sized and four are large. You can easily store most of your tiny fishing equipment there.
- The best part of this vest is, it has a fly drying patch at the left upper pocket, designed to keep your important files close to your fingertips.
- A rod holder also comes attached with this vest. You’ll also get D-rings for easy storing of retractable zingers.
- This vest is non-mesh which ensure you will remain warm in cold weather that makes it perfect for winter fishing.
- Fly drying patch.
- A mixture of both small and large pockets.
- Durable construction.
- Rod holder.
- Features D-ring.
- Suitable for fishing in winter.
- This fly fishing vest is a little heavy because of its materials.
- As it is a non-mesh vest, it will be hard for you to wear it in the summer.
The Rothco Uncle Milty Travel vest is a great option for winter fly fishing. It is designed to keep you warm all day long. Plus, the fly drying patch and rod holder attracts more attention to this vest. Overall everything is nice but make sure you don’t wear it in summer.
The Anglatech Fly Fishing Vest has a combination of durability and lightweight. Plus, it is designed in a different way which still looks appealing. Furthermore, this vest is also priced reasonably.
- It has a mesh back which keeps the inner part nicely ventilated making it comfortable for you to use it in summer.
- For perfect adjustment, it offers adjustable straps and zippers that run very smooth.
- This fly fishing vest comes with a rod holder and bottle holder which makes your fly fishing experience more convenient.
- It comes with a lot of pockets. You’ll be able to put your lures, flies, wallet, phone, etc. easily.
- Even after offering a bunch of helpful features, it comes at a low price.
- Low price.
- Durable and lightweight.
- A lot of pockets.
- Rod and bottle holder.
- Smooth zippers.
- Features D-ring.
- The D-ring sits little lower which makes it harder to retrieve the net.
The Anglatech is a high-quality fly fishing vest that comes at a low price. Except for the D-ring thing, all the features of this vest are quite amazing. It is highly recommended if you are on a tight budget.
Other Top Fly Fishing Vests For You
The Maxcatch Fly Fishing Vest Pack can be used as both backpack and vest, depends on how you use it. It has all the extra features that an experienced angler will love to have. From construction to the storage facility, this fly fishing vest offers everything.
- It features a rod holder and retractable zinger holder so that you can carry these comfortably.
- It has a fly patch which will allow you to store your important flies closer to your hand.
- The back of this vest features an expandable back pocket which allows you to store larger items.
- It has a side strap so that you can fit it snugly. Also, the overall design is impressive.
- This vest is loaded with pockets for easy storage. It has two main molded pockets and the zippers are highly durable.
- Durable and lightweight.
- Great design.
- Adjustable straps.
- High-quality zippers.
- Fly patch.
- We have seen some users complaining that the shoulder straps are not very comfortable.
There is no doubt that the Maxcatch Fly Fishing Vest Pack is a high-quality vest that offers highly functional features. The price may seem a little expensive but according to the quality, this is fair. Even pro anglers will love to have this vest.
This is the second fly fishing vest from Anglatech in our review and it has almost the same design as the previous one. The Anglatech Fly Fishing Combo Chest Pack is slightly different and offers better features too. Its water carrying bladder facility definitely keeps it ahead in the competition of the best fly fishing vests. Let’s have a closer look at them below.
- It comes with more than 13 pockets and the best part is, two of them are fully waterproof for keeping mobile and wallet.
- Adjustable straps are a nice addition to this vest. There are some straps where you can store scissors, screw etc.
- Includes a rod holder and water bottle holder which enables you to carry the rod comfortably and stay hydrated.
- The backside of the vest is made of mesh that will keep the interior well-ventilated on hot days.
- It is a lightweight and well-balanced vest. So, wearing it is very easy and comfortable.
- Features more than 13 pockets.
- A lot of storage facility.
- Waterproof pockets.
- Mesh back.
- Includes rod and bottle holder.
- You might face a problem with the zipper as sometimes it doesn’t move smoothly.
The Anglatech Fly Fishing Combo Chest Pack is slightly different from the traditional design. Overall, it a balanced vest that offers a lot of beneficial features.
The Master Sportsman Youth Fishing Vest is loaded with pockets. It comes with a traditional design that even offers a classy look. This vest is suitable for those who give the performance more priority than look.
- It comes with 26 pockets where you can store a lot of accessories. The bottom front pockets can hold up to 6 tackle boxes.
- It also has a large front pocket where you can store large items like cell phone, wallet, etc.
- Like other vests, it also comes with a rod and D-ring holder enabling you to carry those things comfortably.
- Lightweight and mesh back keep your body comfortable and cool during hot weather.
- You will have quick access to the important pockets where you will be storing the stuff you need most.
- 26 pockets.
- Removable fly patches.
- Rod and D-ring holder.
- Large front pocket
- The rolled back flap makes it uncomfortable to ride a vehicle.
The Master Sportsman Youth Fishing Vest really offers a lot of features at a cost-effective price range. If you are okay the drawback, you should definitely give this fly fishing vest a try.
The Gihuo Men’s Summer Fishing Travel Vest is designed very simply. It doesn’t have a fancy look but it has earned the best-selling tag on it for its amazing features. Let’s have a look at them below.
- This travel fishing vest is made of 35 percent cotton and 65 percent polyester which makes it highly durable and long-lasting.
- It comes with a total of 16 pockets. Among them, 5 are zipper pockets and 5 are Velcro pockets
- Very lightweight and mid-water resistance. Wearing on or off doesn’t require any hassle.
- It comes in different styles and colors. So, you can choose the one you like most.
- This vest will allow you to move very smoothly as there isn’t anything that will irritate you while moving.
- Includes both zipper pockets and Velcro pockets.
- Comfortable to wear.
- 16 pockets.
- Zipper works smoothly.
- Comes in different colors and designs.
- This fly fishing vest doesn’t come with a rod holder or D-ring.
The absence of a rod holder or D-ring is a big limitation of Gihuo Men’s Summer Fishing Travel Vest. Without that, all other features of this vest are simply amazing. If you are okay with a vest without any rod holder, then try this out at any means.
Best Fly Fishing Vests Buyers Guide
In order to get your hands on the best fly fishing vest, you’ll have to follow some factors which are given below. Have a look:
A Bunch of Pockets
The most important factor to consider when it comes to choosing the best fly fishing vest is the storage capacity it has. How fishing vests help us? They hold many things from clipper to line cleaners and keep them organized.
As fishing vests are nothing more than just an equipment for holding fishing items, so it’s obvious that they would come up with a number of pockets. A good number of pockets is the most important thing you should expect from your fishing vest.
On the other hand, having too many pockets also can be irritating because instead of focusing on the cast you would end up searching for things into your own vest pockets. As there are too many pockets, you’ll often get confused and end up wasting a large chunk of your time.
Another disadvantage of having too many pockets is, it will make your vest very heavy. Not because of the pocket, the more pockets you have the more things you’ll want to carry, that’s the itchy part.
So, the key here is to choose a vest that has a good number of pockets, not too many or a few. The ideal number would be 10 to 12 pockets.
Size of the Pockets
You should also take into consideration the size of the pockets. Choosing a vest with small pockets is very frustrating and will do help little. Small pockets won’t come in very handy to you. The first problem is you can’t carry many things. Also, there is high a chance that the small fishing gears can fell off the pocket.
So you should choose pockets that have a good size.
Quality and Material
There are a plethora of materials from which fishing vests are usually made of. As we said back, fly fishing is for enjoyment, so you’ll have to make sure that you do anything to stay comfortable.
If your vest itches all day long, how can you stay comfortable? So isn’t it better to take a quick look at the vests comfortability? Of course.
There are mainly two types of vests in terms of construction material:
These vests are made of a kind of fabric that has millions of holes, that means that the vest is breathable. Because of the holes, the vest will allow air to pass through and keep the inside part well-ventilated.
On the other hand, mesh vests are very lightweight compared to other types. But there are some drawbacks too: mesh vests are not as durable as non-mesh vests. And, in winter these vests won’t keep you warm.
For summer fishing, mesh vests are a great choice.
These vests are made of a very heavy material which ensures durability. And the obvious thing is, non-mesh vests are way heavier than the mesh vests.
In winter, non-mesh vests will keep you warm all day long. However, in summer these will be very uncomfortable.
This is the last thing to consider when choosing a fly fishing vest. Before you make the final decision, check what extra features the vest offers which will deliver you comfort.
Check if the vest has something that would reduce pressure from the shoulder. Or does it come with cushioned shoulder pads? Is it easy to wear? Is there anything that can hurt you? Do the zippers run well? Check these properly to ensure the vest is indeed comfortable.
In this fly fishing vests buyers guide, we have tried our best to share everything for choosing the best fly fishing vest within your budget. Hope it will help you through the whole buying process.
If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask in the comment box below!
Frequently Asked Questions on Fly Fishing Vests
Q. Does fishing vests come with a floatation system?
Answer: No. Both are completely different things. A fishing vest is only for storing fishing gears and floating devices are for beginner swimmers. There is no connection between these two.
Q. Are fishing vests waterproof?
Answer: As the vests are meant to be worn during fishing, they should be waterproof. But we were shocked to see that, there were only a few fishing vests that are 100% waterproof. Some vests have the ability to keep a few water drops away.
Q. Are fishing vests very heavy?
Answer: It actually depends on the type of vest. There are some vests which are very heavy and some are lightweight. Non-mesh vests are usually very heavy whereas mesh vests are lightweight.
Q. What is the best fly fishing vest?
Answer: After checking hundreds of vests, we think the Autumn Ridge Traders Fly Fishing Vest is holding the lead on the market obviously for its superb functionalities. We believe it offers the most features at the price it costs.
Q. What can I store in the vest?
Answer: Actually, you can store a good number of fishing gears in the vest such as clipper, tippets, lure, lines, hooks, line cleaners, flies, weights, fly float ants and various tools.
Last update on 2019-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API