Fly fishing is an adventurous sport where you can spend your time with nature. While fly fishing, just the basic equipment such as a fly rod, reel, line, leader and tippet aren’t enough. You might also need fly boxes to store your flies. With the help of a proper fly box, you will be able to experience a consistent and efficient fly fishing time period. You will also be able to save a lot of time searching for flies when you have the best fly box for streamers or nymphs or other sorts of flies.
Fly fishing can be difficult in some cases when you have to use large streamers to fool the fish and make them strike on your streamers. Taking these streamers for fly fishing can be a tough task, which is why you need a fly box to store them. In this guide, we will be reviewing 9 of the best fly boxes so that you can experience an efficient fly fishing time period.
What Is A Fly Box?
Fly box is a must-have equipment if you need a lot of flies or few large artificial flies such as streamers to go for fly fishing. It can be difficult for you to hold a lot of flies as well as large streamers while going for fly fishing.
This is where a fly box turns out to be helpful. With a fly box, you will be able to store a lot of artificial flies; both large and small when you are planning to go for fly fishing.
Why Do You Need A Fly Box?
Fly boxes are available in different sizes depending on how many flies you will store as well as the size of flies. No matter what sort of fly box you use, an ideal fly box helps you to go through a wonderful your fly fishing experience. Here are some of the major reasons why a fly box is necessary for fly fishing:
- A fly box is needed if you want to store and organize your files easily while fly fishing.
- If you want your fly fishing experience to be more entertaining, you need to have a fly box so that you won’t have difficulties while finding fish.
- A fly box is also essential to make fly fishing more efficient.
9 Best Fly Box For Streamers
During our research on the best fly boxes, we enlisted several popular and trusted fly box for storing and arranging artificial flies. When we analyzed the features and specialties of every fly box, we came over 9 different fly box which was found to be outstanding for the case of streamers. We performed a long-term research on these 9 best fly boxes and with the completion of our research, we are here presenting you the reviews of the 9 fly boxes for your flies along with an effective comparison chart.
Comparison Chart of Best Fly Boxes
|Product Name||Inner Construction||Capacity||Waterproof||Price|
|New Phase Salmon Fly Box||Strong durable plastic boxes along with positive snap tight latch and stainless steel hinge pins||Large||Yes|
|New Phase “Go To” Fly Box||Extremely tough ABS plastic with stainless steel hinge pins and snap-tight latch||Large||Yes|
|Maxcatch Two-Sided Waterproof Fly Box||Strong and lightweight ABS Plastic||Medium and Large||Yes|
|Maxcatch Slit Foam Waterproof Fly Box||Tough clarified ABS Plastic||Medium and Large||Yes|
|Outdoor Planet Fly Box||Durable Plastic with silicone seal||Medium||Yes|
|LotFancy Fly Fishing Lures Box||Sharp stainless steel hooks, bright metal fly head, delicate feathers, barbed strong hook||Medium||Yes|
|Bozeman FlyWorks Fly Box||Waterproof seal, custom-made decal||Medium||Yes|
|Dr.Fish Fly Fishing Box||Tough ABS Plastic||Medium and Large||Yes|
|Cliff’s Bugger Barn Fly Box||Tough Plastic and durable blue foam||Large||Yes|
The New Phase Salmon Fly Box is an amazing fly box compatible with large streamers and flies. It offers a long-lasting performance while fly fishing.
- It features stainless steel hinge pins which don’t get corroded while fly fishing for saltwater fish.
- With a great storage capacity, it can store around 363 different flies.
- It can hold your flies in a secure way with the high-density split foam liner.
- This box features tough black ABS plastic lids.
- It is waterproof.
- It offers a lot of housing space for flies.
- You can store your flies in a well-organized and secured way.
- It is comparatively expensive.
If you are looking for an outstanding fly box offering an enormous housing space for your flies along with flush latch style which lets you slide the box into a boat bag efficiently, it is highly recommended for you to go for the New Phase Salmon Fly Box- Holds Large Streamers and Flies by Kingfisher.
The New Phase “Go To” Fly Box is another fly box from New Phase which is designed with ultra-tough ABS plastic and can store your flies securely. It is also a highly durable fly box like the first one on our list.
- It is designed with extremely tough ABS plastic alongside stainless steel hinge pins and snap-tight latch.
- The storage features a center swing leaf which allows you to store even more number of flies.
- From storage point of view, it is able to hold hundreds of different flies securely.
- Its stainless steel hinge pins are highly durable and don’t go through rusting.
- It is highly durable and waterproof.
- It offers a lot of housing space, excluding the additional space.
- You can store your flies securely.
- It may not be affordable.
If you planning to get a fly box that you can use for many years to come along with watertight and waterproof structure featuring rubber gaskets, you might want to go for the New Phase “Go To” Fly Box. This fly box is the best choice for saltwater and freshwater fly fishing.
The Maxcatch Two-Sided Waterproof Fly Box is an awesome fly box sealed with rubber gaskets on every side. It features a double clear lid design.
- It includes high-density easy-grip foam.
- This box is sealed with rubber gaskets on both sides.
- It contains a double clear lid design which helps you to arrange the flies properly.
- The tough box includes tough-clarified ABS plastic lids.
- It is a strong and waterproof fly box.
- It is lightweight and offers a proper arrangement of flies.
- Its snap locks might get loose over the period of time.
The Maxcatch Two-Sided Waterproof Fly Box can be the best fly box choice for everyone who is looking for a totally waterproof fly box with an elegant design and convenience. This fly box is available in three different sizes for you to choose from.
The Maxcatch Slit Foam Waterproof Fly Box is another outstanding fly box for Maxcatch featuring a double-clear lid design similar to the Maxcatch Two-Sided Waterproof Fly Box Easy Grip Foam Fly Fishing Box mentioned above. It is a lightweight and strong fly box.
- It is designed with strong and lightweight ABS plastic.
- You have 4 different sizes to choose from in this fly box.
- It features high-density easy grip foam to hold the flies effectively.
- It is waterproof.
- This is a lightweight and strong box.
- It can hold any type of flies from streamers to nymphs.
- Price of the biggest size is quite higher than usual fly boxes.
If you are thinking about getting a fly box compatible with any sort of flies featuring a double clear lid design to distinguish the flies, you need to go for the Maxcatch Two-Sided Waterproof Fly Box. With this fly box, you also obtain a single-year guarantee.
The Outdoor Planet Go-To Fly Box is an amazing fly box available in a medium size which lets you store a lot of different flies effectively. This fly box is highly durable.
- It is a medium-sized fly box.
- This box features 40 different fly patterns including Hare’s Ear Nymph, Adams, Grand Hopper, Bead Head Prince, WD40, etc.
- It is designed with durable Plastic with silicone seal.
- Flies from size 8 to 16 can be stored effectively in this fly box.
- It is waterproof.
- This box can hold different varieties and sizes of fish.
- It is highly durable.
- It doesn’t feature strong flies which can easily tear the foam.
The Outdoor Planet Go-to Fly Box is the perfect fly box choice for every fly fisher who is looking for a medium-sized fly box able to hold a lot of different size of flies.
The LotFancy Fly Fishing Lures Box is a waterproof and durable fly box which features a compact and portable design. It is designed with high-quality materials.
- It features 60 different flies of 3 different sizes; 6, 10 and 12.
- It features barbed and strong stainless steel hooks.
- The flies are suitable for fly fishing in freshwater, lakes, rivers as well as saltwater.
- It includes a bright metal fly head.
- This fly box is waterproof.
- This compact box can easily fit inside your pocket.
- It is a highly durable and sturdy fly box featuring delicate feathers.
- Pre-included flies can be damaged easily several types of fish.
Featuring strong, sharp stainless steel hooks, this LotFancy Fly Fishing Lures Kit Box can be the perfect fly box option for everyone who is looking for a compact and portable fly box to take in any fly fishing situations.
The Bozeman FlyWorks Fly Box is an amazing fly box featuring a custom-built decal manufactured by Bozeman FlyWorks. It is a medium-sized fly box designed for easy fly storage.
- This fly box features double-sided clear outer shell.
- It includes custom-made decal which makes it relevant for any amount of fish you catch.
- It is available as a packaging for your fly line.
- The storage part features a slit foam which allows you to store the flies securely.
- It is waterproof.
- This box allows you to store the flies in a well-managed and secure way.
- Its clear sides make it easier for you to detect the fly you need to prefer.
- It might be a little more expensive.
If you are looking for a fly box featuring a waterproof seal along with extra convenience while storing flies, getting the Bozeman FlyWorks Fly Box is one of the best things you might want to do. It allows you to store the flies in its own area making it easier for you to detect the flies while fly fishing.
The Dr.Fish Fly Fishing Box is a lightweight fly box designed with tough ABS plastic. It features 2 transparent lids design which allows you to find the flies quickly.
- It features silicone ring on the lids which help to keep your flies dry.
- This box contains a large housing space to store different types of flies.
- It is designed with strong and tough ABS plastic.
- This compact box is of 0.5-inch height on both sides.
- It is waterproof and lightweight.
- This spacious box offers a large housing space for flies.
- It offers a clear view of your flies.
- No fly is included while buying.
- It is comparatively expensive.
The Dr.Fish Fly Fishing Box can be the best fly box for you if you are thinking about getting a fly box with positive snap-tight latches along with high density easy grip foam. This fly box will last for many years to come.
The Cliff’s Bugger Barn Fly Box is an enormous fly box allowing you to store different type of flies including the large sized ones such as streamers and poppers. It doesn’t feature any rips unlike the regular foam in other fly boxes.
- It has the inner dimension of 8 3/4″ X 4 3/8″ X 1 3/8″.
- You can store several large flies such as saltwater fish, poppers and streamers.
- It doesn’t include any rips or tears similar to regular foam.
- The slots in the fly box can easily grip a hook.
- This fly box is waterproof.
- You can store large flies in this fly box.
- It is very expensive.
If you are searching for an enormous fly box with large housing space which is able to hold several large flies, it is better to go for the Cliff’s Bugger Barn Fly Box. However, this fly box can be far more expensive than the others on this list.
Things to Consider Before Buying Fly Box
You can find fly boxes from different manufacturers out there in the marketplace. Choosing the appropriate fly box can be a difficult task for you since you can find nearly the same qualities in most of the popular options available. However, if you know about certain things before buying the fly box, you will be able to find out the best option for you without staying in any sort of confusion. Here are some of the major things you need to know before buying a fly box.
Fly Box Size
Size is the most important factor you need to look for while buying a fly box. You can find tiny boxes as well as large streamer boxes. You’ll also find several fly boxes of a medium size. While looking for fly box size, you need to look for the one which seems to compatible with the number of flies you will be taking for fly fishing.
Getting a medium to large box might be a better choice. Since fly box doesn’t cost too much, you can purchase several fly boxes for different purposes. It is better to get a standard fly box containing slit foam which could be compatible with the 10-22 patterns. Also, you might want to buy a different box for those smaller than 22 along with a suitable fly box for streamers. You might also want to get a fly box suitable for large streamers and insects with hopper patterns. No matter what fly box you choose, you need to choose one which is suitable for your flies.
Fly Box Materials
You can find fly boxes made up of either plastic or wooden material or aluminum. Fly box with molded plastic design is usually more advanced and possess foam in their inner construction. These fly box also tend to be comparatively cheaper.
On the other hand, a fly box designed with aluminum are generally traditional as well as more durable. Even though they are expensive, these fly boxes can last for several generations.
You can find fly boxes having clips, more lid compartments as well as flat foam. They also have the option to choose one with a swing leaf and the next without it. If you prefer the one with a swing leaf, you’d be able to store more number of flies.
A clip is also an essential thing in a fly box. If there is a larger clip, you will be able to store larger fly into the fly box and vice-versa. It is better to go for a 6-inch fly box which is the most recommended fly box size for a fly fisherman since every clip just takes a single fly. However, this size isn’t compatible with ultra small or very large flies.
With the completion of our review of the 9 best fly box for streamers, you might have found out some of the best features found in popular fly boxes in the recent time. It’s all upon you on which fly box you choose, you can get anyone from our list, or if you find any others with different qualities, you might want to go for that specific fly box too.
While choosing the best fly box, you need to consider several things such as the size of a box, materials used, clips, etc. as mentioned above. You can know enough information regarding these factors above. But, if you still have any queries, you might want to write down to us in the comments. We’d try to respond back to you as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions!
Q. What are some of the most popular fly box manufacturing companies?
Answer: You might be looking for the most popular fly box manufacturing companies because those companies must be using high-quality components in their products. If that’s the case, you might want to go for the fly box manufactured by some of the most trusted companies like Maxcatch, New Phase, and Bozeman Flyworks.
Q. What kind of fly box is the best for streamers?
Answer: If you are looking for the best fly box for streamers, you might want to look at our comparison chart above for quick information about some of the most popular fly box for streamers. It is highly recommended for you to go for the fly box which is able to store hundreds of streamers. Also, the fly box needs to be durable.
Q. What material fly box is the most durable for streamers?
Answer: You can find fly boxes designed with materials like aluminum, plastic or wood. The fly boxes designed with aluminum usually tend to be more durable than the others, which is why it is recommended for you to go for such fly boxes. However, these fly boxes mightn’t be so much affordable. It is better to go for a plastic fly box for the best performance at an affordable price.
Q. Shall I buy a fly box containing swing leaf?
Answer: If you are planning to get a fly box with a swing leaf, you must be doing it to get an additional feature or you actually went through our guide properly to find out the information regarding fly box with swing leaf. No matter what made you think about getting such fly box, you are doing the right thing since you can store a large number of flies in a fly box with swing leaf.
Q. Do I really need a fly box for streamers?
Answer: It’s not mandatory for you to get a fly box for streamers since you are able to do fly fishing without having a fly box too. But, if you don’t want to lose your streamers or you want to store your streamers in an organized way, it is better to get a fly box.